A religious community of people who made things with their hands
5.1.2 Guild workshops
Over the period 1918-1920 land was acquired for the Guild Workshops which were then built by Gill and Pepler, supplemented by army huts. Only one building of these buildings was not in place when Gill left in 1924. When the buildings were damaged in the storms of 1987, this precipitated the closure of the Guild 1989 and the sale of the lean with the remaining workshops being demolished and two modern houses built.
Several of the photos on this page were taken when demolition was imminent.
Cribb family home (1920-21, Maxwell workshop (1922-1969). This was one of the Army huts acquired in the opening days of the guild.
Rooms joining the two Army huts. Served as accommodation for David Jones when he arrived in 1920; It was later the library and social room and eventually, George Maxwell’s office. This is where David Jones painted ‘Christ Mocked’, ‘St Thomas Aquinas’ and ‘Crucifixion’ on the wooden walls, paintings now owned by the National Museum of Wales.
Home for, Shute, Brocklehurst, later Dunstan Pruden’s son, Anton. Another Army hut.
Home for Brocklehurst, Pruden. Outside the main quadrangle. Seems to have collapsed on the above photograph.
Cribb’s Original Workshop
Cribb (1924 -1934) , later Edgar Holloway.
The Gill Building
Built by Gill, 1920. Gill’s workshop (1920-24), KilBride (1925-34), Cribb (1934-67), Eager (1967- 89).
Pepler Building East
Initially the Print workshop, later the weaving workshop
Pepler Building West
Initially part of the Print workshop, later Dunstan Pruden’s workshop
Pruden’s original workshop
Pruden (1930-34), John Hagreen (1937-39)
Guild school building
Guild School (1924-32), Hagreen (1932-48) Holloway (1948-79). This building had originally been sited on top of the Spoil bank, next to the crucifix, where Gill had originally planed to build a chapel. When the young children grew up and needed secondary education elsewhere, the school-room fell into disuse and was re-sited in the main quadrangle. Here it served as Philip Hagreen’s studio, a laundry and briefly, accommodation for Edgar Holloway and his wife.
This was erected in 1962 to house the universal woodworker which was the machine purchased by John Maxwell to do the planeing and sawing for the carpentry workshop. It occupied the space behind Dunstan Pruden in the photograph above.
The original vision was to create a quadrangle of brick buildings, linking Pepler’s building, Gill’s Building and the Chapel, presumably with an inner cloister, and then demolishing the wooden structures. No progress on this scheme was made after Gill’s departure